We are opening spring season with MageNews March 🙌
Amidst the COVID-19 outbreak we provide you with a different type of news – everything you need to know about what happened in the Magento world.
So take a deep breath and scroll down!
- [Not To Miss] Magento Imagine Online Only
- [Not To Miss] Product Recommendation EAP
- [Not To Miss] Magento Association Volunteer Program
- [Not To Miss] Atwix Leads the Charge of Contributions
- [Community Experience] Custom Appearance for PageBuilder
- [Community Experience] Magento Releases and SemVer
- [Community Experience] Setup Contribution Environment
- [Community Experience] CD Handbook
- [Open Source] MSI In-Store Pickup Completed
- [Open Source] PWA Studio 5.0.1
- [Open Source] Useful Projects
- [Architecture] Cron Schedule Improvements
- Upcoming Events
- Want more?
Not to Miss
Magento Imagine Online Only
Adobe decided to make Magento Imagine and Adobe Summit online-only events this year and cancel the live event in Las Vegas. The reason is a situation around COVID-19 pandemic.
The health and safety of our community is our top priority. After careful consideration, we’ve made the difficult but important decision to host this year’s #MagentoImagine and #AdobeSummit as online-only experiences. https://t.co/WdIs8UB7c2 pic.twitter.com/Jwhs6IHVwm
— Magento (@magento) March 2, 2020
– [Magento] Update on Magento Imagine at Adobe Summit
Product Recommendation EAP
Magento started an early access program for product recommendations. The product recommendations feature is an AI personalization marketing services based on Adobe Sensei that is capable of calculating different types of product recommendations for the homepage, category, product, cart pages (like similar products, “view this – view that”, “view this – bought that”, etc).
Essentially, the product recommendations require connector modules to be installed on the Magento 2.3 store. Connectors add JS snippets on the storefront to track customer behavior data and export catalog data on the Adobe Sensei side to analyze it and show the recommendations.
Adobe Sensei will create and train machine learning models for each website and store view on the received data.
Sign up for the Product Recommendation EAP and enable a personalized shoppable experience for your customers.
Give them a whirl. 🌀
— Magento DevDocs (@MagentoDevDocs) February 5, 2020
– [Google Forms] Magento Product Recommendations Early Access Program
– [MerchDocs] Product Recommendations
– [DevDocs] Product Recommendations
– [NPM] Product Recommendations SDK
– [Atwix] MageNews Dec 2019 – Adobe Sensei Under the Hood
Magento Association Volunteer Program
Magento Association opened a volunteer program. Previously, Magento Association kicked off a membership program and got 1,300+ members registered. Now, there is a chance to take part in one of 5 committees and work with Magento Association Board members on empowering and formatting of Magento global community. All volunteers should be ready to dedicate some time for monthly committee meetings and accomplishing assigned tasks.
If you feel you can help Magento Association, don’t hold this off and sign up the right way by the link below.
📢 Hot off the @MagentoAssoc press:
Call for committee members is open!
Committee charters: https://t.co/Ri9pEkPknL
— Ben Marks (@BenMarks) February 27, 2020
Atwix Leads the Charge of Contributions
Atwix became the number one contributor to Magento codebase in 2019 as well as in 2018 and keeps leading the board in 2020. Get inspired from our story in the Magento blog post below.
Magento Solution Partner Atwix created 756 new contributions, of which 687 were accepted. Learn more about this amazing team: https://t.co/jrkYoeKvML@atwixcom @slkra #MagentoPartners #MagentoContributors #MagentoDevelopers pic.twitter.com/4MPCEEjp0R
— Magento (@magento) February 11, 2020
Custom Appearance for PageBuilder
This is a step-by-step instruction on how to add a custom view for PageBuilder built-in components from adding a new option to Admin UI to styling a new view on the frontend.
We just published our guide on how to add appearances to any content type in Page Builder 🔥, which is the best way to extend Page Builder content types with custom functionality. Check it out: https://t.co/Q7xVIIHmLC pic.twitter.com/1qQgFNurge
— Dave Macaulay (@HelloMacaulay) February 14, 2020
Magento Releases and SemVer
Important summary from Vinai Kopp about Magento release versions. They look like semantic versions but actually they are not. This is still a point of confusion for many people in the community. Take your time to digest this information by reading a thread below.
Everyone: Magento release versions (2.0.0, … 2.3.3, 2.3.4) have NOTHING to do with semver.
Don’t complain about breaking changes in a „patch level“ update, it’s NOT a patch level update!
The semver versioning „semantics“ only apply to module versions (e.g. 102.1.0 to 102.1.1)
— Vinai (@VinaiKopp) February 27, 2020
Setup Contribution Environment
Are you a Magento partner? Get familiar how to contribute to Magento Commerce, B2B modules and PageBuilder from a comprehensive guide from Łukasz Bajsarowicz.
— Łukasz Bajsarowicz (@LBajsarowicz) February 19, 2020
– [M2.tips] Contribution to Magento Commerce
– [Github] Magento Commerce modules (Partners Access Only)
– [Github] Magento B2B modules (Partners Access Only)
– [Github] Magento PageBuilder modules (Partners Access Only)
Community Engineering Team collected their experience and released a handbook on how to organize Magento contribution days. The document includes venue requirements, agenda examples, work with EngCom Team on backlog preparing and so on. This will be definitely useful next time you organize the event!
– [Magento OpenSource] Contribution Day Organizer’s Handbook
MSI In-Store Pickup Completed
We are happy to announce that MSI In-Store Pickup MVP is completed. This is the second big milestone in the story of the MSI project and it’s already passed to QA stage. The feature will be generally available in Magento 2.4.0 and there will be also EAP for early adopters. Now don’t miss the complete demo with the main use cases by In-Store Pickup community team.
– [Youtube] MSI In-Store Pickup – Complete Demo
PWA Studio 5.0.1
PWA Studio released a patch 5.0.1 version which includes image loading fixes and removing customer private information from the Apollo cache.
Recording here: https://t.co/JSWG3hFMpd
— Eric Erway (@ericerway) February 21, 2020
– elgentos/magento2-lightspeed – Magento 2 Lighthouse optimizations
– kiwicommerce/magento2-admin-activity – Magento 2 Admin Activity Logger
– swissup/module-marketplace – Magento2 modules and themes CLI installer
– fisheyehq/module-url-rewrite-optimiser – Magento2 module that stops URL rewrites for all category paths
– adobe/aem-core-cif-components – Adobe Experience Manager integration with Magento 2.3.4
– roma-glushko/mage-di-analyzer – Calculates and reports how Magento modules affect DI compilation
Cron Schedule Improvements
Magento Cloud team announced upcoming improvements to cron scheduling mechanism. Improvements fix three cases that frequently happen during the store maintenance:
– if a cron job was terminated, Magento will restart it in a day
– if some cron group has a long-running job, it will stuck execution of remaining jobs in the group
– if Magento works with the cron_schedule table, deadlocks are possible
Taking that, the Magento team essentially introduced a new failed cron jobs detection. Also, they got Magento to retry queries in the deadlock-prone places and replaced the locking of the cron group to cron job level locking.
The improvements will be a part of Magento 2.3.5. However, patches for previous versions are available in the Magento Cloud Patches repo right now.
– [Youtube] Magento Cloud Demo – Cron and locks + warm-up with Bohdan Korablov and Oleksandr Shmyheliuk
– [Magento Cloud Patches] Fix Cron deadlocks and improve cron job locking patch (2.3.3)
Make sure to be the first for our April MageNews digest – subscribe to our blog.
See you in a month!